Monday, December 13, 2021

UMASS - Various Assignments 3

The following 11 images are ‘visual response assignments that I completed for homework in my ‘Advanced Problems in Art Education’ class.  Some of these works were created in response to a single word prompt; others reflected the central themes of an educational journal article.  The level of effort put into each assignment really depended on how much free time I had.

"I would become inspired by the picture books my parents would read to my brother and me.  Also various Saturday morning cartoons and Pixar films, I watched as a child, played a significant part in focusing my artistic desires and later helped to refine the direction of my art journey into the field of 2D/3D animation." 


“The Arts Framework provides a floor, not a ceiling” (Massachusetts Curriculum Framework for Arts, pg.12).  Visual Arts Standards build upon the Guiding Principles. 

I chose to reflect on the term ‘Not Knowing’, which was one of the Principles of Possibility from Olivia Gude’s article “Playing, Creativity, Possibility” and combine it with the Surrealist Inkblot Portrait activity shown in said article.

 


I was inspired by the Hafeli article (I Know a Lot of Things That You Don't. You Wanna Hear Some? Adolescent Themes and Contemporary Art Practice) to create one page of my very own visual art journal.

 


“Bridge of Building Knowledge”, inspired by the article ‘Who is at the City Gates’.

 


“Whirlwind of the Modern Age”, an image created by studying the postmodern principle ‘Layering’ which can be found in the article ‘Postmodern Principles: In Search of a 21st Century Art Education’. 

 


I chose to focus on the idea of a Structured/Free-form dichotomy.  These images contain several examples of this dichotomy:  1) Structured, factory made artificial flowers on the left vs. Free-formed organically grown flowers on the right.  2) Free-form arrangement of the flowers on the left vs. Structured and manicured flower arrangement on the right.  3) Structured, uniformly poured concrete floor vs. the Free-form wood grain background. 

 

 

“The Spirit of Culture”

 


Individual vs. Group

This was my attempt at creating a paradoxical image using Penrose Triangles.

Celebration!


No comments:

Post a Comment