Friday, July 1, 2022

UMASS - Practicum Teaching: Watercolor Menagerie

This past semester one of the lessons that I created, taught and took the most pride in was the watercolor painting project entitled “Watercolor Menagerie”. I determined that the main teaching goal for both the lesson and my students was experimentation, to release control over the medium and allow the materials to do what they do naturally.  I chose to focus the subject matter of the final painting on real life vibrant and colorful animals (like the photograph of the lorikeet you see below).
 

For my teacher example I used various watercolor painting techniques like flat wash, graded wash, dry brush, wet on wet blending, and splatter to create the colorful patterns and textures of the lorikeet.

 


Examples of the watercolor paintings my students created can be found here:


No comments:

Post a Comment