Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Community College

Allow me to start off by saying that I had never planned on attending a community college. Originally, I wanted to attend Massachusetts College of Art and Design in the hope of being accepted into their animation program. Imagine my shock and disappointment when I got a rejection letter from MassArt…

Fortunately I heard about Holyoke Community College and was able to enroll in their art program. I learned so much during the two years I spent at HCC. My art professors were very knowledgeable and wanted to help students improve their drawing skills. I learned to produce art with a wide range of media and was given projects that reinforced class lessons. Outside of the art department I was able to take an array of Math, English, Science and Social Science courses.  I eventually graduated with an associate’s degree in visual arts. With an improved portfolio in hand I reapplied to MassArt and this time I got an acceptance letter.

When I look back on my art from high school I’m not surprised I got a rejection letter. The art I made was hardly anything special and I didn’t have any still life or figure drawings in my portfolio. I can say with much certainty that getting a rejection letter from MassArt and attending Holyoke Community College was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Art produced in the course ‘Drawing I’






Mannequin studies in charcoal.












Various still life objects. Drawings done in charcoal, Conté crayon, graphite.

















Art produced in the course ‘Abstract Art’


    


The following six drawings were all apart of the same project. The idea was to make three observational drawings of an object (my class ring) and then use a computer scanner to distort the drawings into something abstract.




    


    




A painting inspired by the works of Jasper Johns.



Art produced in the course ‘Painting I’




Two (originally four) stylized self-portraits that were used in a larger painting (I no longer have that painting).


    


Basic observational paintings of a watch.


    





Art produced in the course ‘Illustration I’








Camping Typography Alphabet.





Tessellation Project.




A photograph of my ancestors surrounded by a pen/ink drawing of Celtic knotwork.




The following six images were all apart of a color study project in which the class learned how to use gouache paint.














Art produced in the course ‘Drawing II’






















    





Male and female figure studies. 


   




    








Anatomical drawings based on class handouts.


    






    






Art produced in the course ‘Illustration II’




Musician/ Band poster project.








Illustration based on the short story “The Painted Crab” by our illustration teacher Lahri Bond.




Illustrations based on scenes from the book “Of Mice and Men” by John Steinbeck.










A pop up book project. It's based on an experience I had at Boy Scout camp.






My final project for Illustration 2; it’s a three dimensional painting based on a scuba diving trip.





No comments:

Post a Comment