Saturday, June 11, 2016

Four-Year College

Four-Year College

As I had mentioned in my last post I was accepted to Massachusetts College of Art and Design after graduating from Holyoke Community College. My first year at MassArt consisted of taking foundation courses, for example Visual Language, Studio for Drawing, Time, and Form Study. Basically these classes allowed students to experiment with various types of media (paint, charcoal, photography, video, Photoshop, etc.) before picking their college major. I chose to major in animation. Interspersed with my required animation courses were liberal art and studio electives. The structure of most classes at MassArt was similar to HCC but the workload was heavier and grading more stringent (but I expected these things from a four year art school). At the end of those four years I graduated with a bachelors of fine arts degree in the field of animation. Below you will find all of the physical artwork I made at MassArt.
  
Most of the animations I made at MassArt can be found here:




Art produced in the course ‘Drawing I’




This was a sketch I made for an art history class. The two objects shown here are ancient bookbinding tools from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.






     


     




The purpose of this homework was to take an image from a magazine and makeup a drawing around it. I think the picture of George Harrison came from a Rolling Stone article.




    






One of our homework assignments was to go to the Museum of Fine Arts and make two drawings; one of a painting and the other of a three dimensional object. For the painting I chose ‘Portrait of a Man Playing a Lute’ by Bartolomeo Passarotti and for the object I chose the dragon vase (I don’t know the artist’s name) seen below.










Art produced in the course ‘Illustration’







An ink and watercolor painting I made after a trip to the Harvard museum of natural history.










A study of hands (in watercolor paint).


















A study (in watercolor paint) of Sir William Russell Flint’s painting Annabel at Parame.




A study (in acrylic paint) of John Singer Sargent’s oil painting ‘Egyptian Girl’.




Art produced in the course ‘Book Making’






A simple thaumatrope book made from luggage tags. When the tags are flipped/spun the illustrations on both sides morph into a single image.




















For my first book project I wanted to make a 1960’s style travel brochure of my hometown. The pictures and information came from both Google and Wikipedia.














For my second book project I decided to make a simple accordion fold book based on the tale of Jack and the Beanstalk. The tip of the beanstalk was made with tissue paper and all of the illustrations were painted with gouache paint.




















For my final book project I had decided to make an alphabet book based on movies. My teacher gave me the vintage film canister and the woven film stock came from the MassArt film department.




































Art produced in the course ‘Drawing II’




Various perspective drawings.














A dress hanging from a handcart. Drawn with a black Prismacolor pencil.




A still life drawing consisting of (from left to right) a toolbox, art box, jacket, lamp and artist portfolio. Drawn with a black Prismacolor pencil.




Fancy Women’s shoes. Charcoal on grey paper.




The subject of the three drawings you see below is the Christian Science Center in Boston. Drawn with charcoal and conté crayons.








Art produced in the course ‘Figure Drawing’


The four drawings below were a part of a larger project that took about a month and a half to work on. Our professor had students use projectors to trace anatomical illustrations (from Google) on to large sheets of drawing paper. My guess is that our professor wanted students to focus on learning how all of the muscle groups connect rather than attempting to create a faithful reproduction of the original illustration. I used chalk pastels for the color and shading.










Art produced in various courses during my time at MassArt




Several ceramic pieces covered in high fire and low fire glazes.


















Various character designs for my courses in animation.














These eleven figures were a part of a larger project in my freshmen year. Originally a flashlight would move down a track in front of the row of figures in turn casting a shadow animation on the back wall. Made from soda cans.






The following three pictures are of props from the short film ‘Word and Image’ (which can be found on my YouTube page).








A wire and balsa wood puppet I made for the 'Stop Motion' class. You can see it's performance in the video ‘Puppet’ on my YouTube channel.




No comments:

Post a Comment